Saturday 9 May 2009

Hamburger Review: Byron London

Byron "Proper Hamburgers" at Westfield Shopping mall London

Byron is yet another Hamburger chain that offers gourmet Hamburgers. Their motto is made up of the simple statement: "Proper Hamburgers". And without a doubt they do keep that promise.

Byron uses meat from Aberdeen Angus Cows which are "traceable" and purely grass fed. The patty's are formed from daily fresh grounded rump, chuck, and brisket. The burger is cooked as ordered, but I found it slightly to done for my taste. Although they do not use a sesame bun, their bread is much better then that of other burger places and does not necessarily try to be "extravagant" or anything else. The toppings are lettuce, tomatoes, and onions (bacon can be ordered extra). As someone who does not appreciate
cucumber on a hamburger, I was happy to see that they had placed it on the side.

As a side I had hand-cut french fries with chili sauce. The hand-cut fries were a tad more expensive than the regular fries, which I expected to be general frozen fries. So I went for the more expensive version. Although I expected the fries to be more chunky like the ones from GBK, I have to admit; these were good, maybe even better. These were real potatoes, and they sure tasted that way. The chili sauce, that was a different issue, it is not as good as the one from GBK and reminded me a bit of Sriracha (the thai chili sauce), and was too spicy for the fries and the burger.

As for the milkshake, it too was not as good as GBK. The portion size was a bit disappointing when I got the steel shaker. It was only three quarter full and the taste of the shake was a bit too floury for my taste.

Overall, Byron burger accomplish the mission that they have set out to do. They offer simple hamburgers, which go back to basics. A patty of top quality meat, in a bread that is neither stale nor soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment